The Zamfara State Police Command has kicked against the claim made by a house wife, Amina Ibrahim Kaura-Namoda, that the command had refused to arrest and bring to justice, one Kabiru Nasiru, who allegedly defiled her three-year old daughter.

 Amina granted an interview to Voice of America Hausa service on Thursday where she accused the state police command of refusing to arrest a 30-year-old Nasiru who she accused of defiling her three-year old daughter, Maryam Aminu.

 Amina explained that Maryam was defiled by Kabiru in his room when the girl accompanied her friends to Kabiru’s mother to plait their hair.

Amina said, “My daughter accompanied her friends to Kabiru’s mother who is a hair dresser for hair plaiting where he ( Kabiru) took her to his room and defiled her.”

 “When my daughter returned home, she was crying and was pointing at her private parts and immediately I removed her pants, I discovered some white liquid and blood.”

 She stated that she quickly took the girl to the hospital for medical checkup where the doctor’s report confirmed that she was defiled.

 She maintained that she reported the matter to the police together with the medical report, lamenting however that, “the boy was arrested on Wednesday by the police but was released the following day on Thursday.”

 According to Amina, when she realised that the police were not ready to arrest and prosecute the boy, she decided to call on the human right organisations to come to her daughter’s aid.

 But in a sharp reaction, the state police command said the suspect had been arrested.

In a statement, the command’s Public Relations Officer, SP Mohammed Shehu, said, “To set the record straight, a case of this magnitude is a non-bailable offence and beyond the jurisdiction of the division to handle. Therefore, the suspect has not been released by the police.”

 According to Shehu, when the police in Kaura-Namoda received the complaint from Amina on the defiling of her daughter by Kabiru, they swung into action by taking the victim to the hospital for medical examination and treatment.

 Shehu said, “All efforts made to arrest the suspect were not successful until March 26, 2020, when the police apprehended him and commenced his interrogation.”

 According to him, the suspect and the complainant had since been transferred to the State CID Gusau for discreet investigation after which the suspect would be charged to court.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button