Tyler Roye, 24, was stabbed five times in the back and abdomen by Samuel Odupitan, 24, in a frenzied attack as he got off a tram in Croydon on his way home from work, Mirror reports.

A man who stabbed a stranger to death for his second-hand Gucci bag has been found guilty of murder.

Samuel Odupitan, 24, stabbed 24-year-old Tyler Roye five times in the back and abdomen during a frenzied attack on Bywood Avenue, Croydon in February.

Odupitan appeared at Croydon Crown Court on December 1 where he was convicted for the attack, which took place minutes away from the victim’s home,

Odupitan will be sentenced at the same court on December 7, Surrey Live reports.

Tyler Roye was on the phone to his girlfriend on his way home after a late shift as a hotel concierge in east London when he was attacked.

He was able to stagger to a friend’s address and raise the alarm but, despite being rushed to hospital, he tragically died on the operating table.

One of his injuries was a savage 15cm-deep wound through his lung and aorta – the main artery from the heart.

When officers caught up with Odupitan, they found disturbing images of knives on his phone along with a video of him driving while holding a knife.

Mr Roye got off a tram during the early hours of February 26 after finishing his work shift at around 11pm.

Having boarded the tram at East Croydon, he entered the same carriage as Odupitan who had travelled from West Croydon.

CCTV footage captured Odupitan watching Tyler intently, even moving seats to get closer to him, and detectives believe he was drawn to the Bengal tiger embossed Gucci messenger-style bag Tyler was carrying.

When they reached the Arena stop, Tyler alighted the tram completely unaware he was being followed by Odupitan.

Within minutes, Odupitan approached Tyler and stabbed him five times. Tyler was on the phone at the time to his girlfriend, she heard him say “bro, bro…” before the line went dead.

Tyler had been carrying a bag containing boxes of doughnuts for his family. The bag was found near to where he had been attacked and was ripped open with the food strewn across the pavement.

Tyler’s iPhone and ear pods were also discovered, but his Gucci bag was missing.

Officers from the Met’s Specialist Crime Command unit launched an investigation and arrested Odupitan, who was identified from CCTV footage, on March 1 at his address.

There, officers found not only Tyler’s bag, but also the jacket, trousers and trainers that Odupitan had been seen wearing that night.

He tried to claim that the distinctive jacket had been lent to him by a friend and since returned, but he was caught out when his ex-partner confirmed that she had bought it for him as a gift.

About Dotun Olanibi

Check Also

ABIA: MOBILE POLICEMAN COMMITS SUICIDE … He was servicing his rifle when it triggered – Police

An Inspector of Police attached to the popular Osisioma Mobile Police Force Unit (Mopol 55) …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *