16-YR-OLD BOY ELECTROCUTED WHILE PLAYING FOOTBALL
Umokahia community, Obingwa council area, Abia State, was thrown into mourning Thursday, as a teenage boy, who was playing football with his mates, was electrocuted at 5p.m. An eyewitness, Tochukwu, told Vanguard that the victim, aged 16, hailed from Ohafia in Ohafia council area.
According to Tochukwu, “the boy was playing football with his mates when the ball rolled into a drainage. He jumped into the channel, but didn’t know that a live electric wire had fallen inside, which electrocuted him. “The next thing I saw was his body shaking and then he suddenly went cold dead. His mates were only shouting and crying as he died.
“Everyone was afraid to do anything. It was so sudden. It was later that we discovered that a plantain leaf covered the naked wire in the drainage. Part of the wire was touching the waterlogged area close to the football pitch.”
Efforts to confirm the incident from the Abia State Police spokesman, DSP Geoffrey Ogbonna, were unsuccessful at press time.