Local government workers in Osun State have been thrown into mourning following the death of the Chairman of the Nigeria Union of Local Government Employees in Ayedaade Local Government Area, Mr. Tajudeen Alabi, in a fire that ravaged his home around 1amon Thursday.
It was gathered that the NULGE chairman was burnt to death in his sleep when fire gutted some shops located close to his residence. The fire was said to have spread to his residence and he was affected.
It was not clear if there were other casualties in the inferno but a resident of the area, who pleaded anonymity told our correspondent that the wife of the deceased and other members of the family were not at home when the incident happened.
The source said some of the neighbours of the deceased blamed the fire incident on a power surge. He added that they told sympathisers, who thronged the residence of the NULGE chairman that the fire started at around 1am and destroyed property worth millions of naira.
He said, “I learnt that the fire started from some shops located close to his house. The fire was said to have started around 1am as a result of power surge but some of the people said it was a mysterious fire.
“They said they heard screaming but it was too late before they could get to the place.”
The Chairman, Nigeria Labour Congress in Osun State, Mr. Tunde Adekomi, could not be reached on the telephone despite efforts made by our correspondent.
However, the Public Relations Ofdicer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Mr. Babawale Afolabi, confirmed the incident to our correspondent on the telephone.
He said, “I was told by our officer in the local government area that the incident happened and the man died in the inferno.”
– Punch Newspaper