Home / News / UNIOSUN dispels rumour of explosion on campus  …SAYS “IT’S A MERE DISCHARGE FROM FIRE EXTINGUISHER”
uniosun

UNIOSUN dispels rumour of explosion on campus  …SAYS “IT’S A MERE DISCHARGE FROM FIRE EXTINGUISHER”

UNIOSUN dispels rumour of explosion on campus

 …SAYS “IT’S A MERE DISCHARGE FROM FIRE EXTINGUISHER”
uniosun logo

AUTHORITIES of Osun State University (UNIOSUN), Osogbo, on Thursday described as untrue and unfounded speculations that there was an explosion on its main campus, located around Oke-Bale area, which resulted in critical injuries of students.

The management of the institution in a press statement signed by its director for Inter-Campus and Public Affairs, Professor Anthony Kola Olusanya said there was no iota of truth in news item, widely circulated on social media that parts of the institution went up in a massive explosion.
According to the statement, a copy of which was forwarded to the Nigerian Tribune in Osogbo,”on behalf of the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Labode Popoola, the university community and the general public is hereby informed that the unfortunate incident, which occurred this afternoon in one lecture rooms has been put under control”.
While explaining that one of the students, who toyed with the safety pin of a fire extinguisher attached to a lecture room triggered the sudden discharge of content of the extinguisher, the management assured the public that all the affected students that inhaled the gaseous contents have been taken to the university medical clinic for prompt treatment.
The statement reads,”contrary to wide speculation that there was an explosion on Osogbo campus, today Thursday, January 18, 2018, university community and the general public should note that there was no explosion of any kind on the campus and there was no casualty.”
“The unfortunate incident, which occurred was caused by a student, who were toying with the fire extinguisher placed in the lecture room mistakenly tampered with the safety pin on the nozzle of the cylinder, thereby releasing the full content of the fire extinguisher on other students in the lecture room. As a result of the release of the content of the fire extinguisher, few of the students who inhaled the released gas were immediately rushed to university medical centre, where they were promptly given medical attention”.
Meanwhile, our correspondent reliably gathered some of the students, whose number could not be ascertained as of the time of filing this report have been moved to Our Lady of Fatima Catholic Hospital, Jaleyemi, Osogbo for further medical treatment.
– Nigerian Tribune

About Dotun Olanibi

Check Also

download-1

Aregbesola has steered ship of Osun successfully in spite of economic challenges ― Ganduje

Aregbesola has steered ship of Osun successfully in spite of economic challenges ― Ganduje   …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *