A trader identified as Akpan Solomon has died after he took four bottles of a local herbal gin called ‘Agbara’. The deceased was said to have accompanied his friend, Chigozie Ozorigam to a hotel to relax. It was learnt that Solomon had earlier consumed two bottles of beer before he requested for bottles of the local gin.
The incident happened around 6 p.m at Lagoon Hotel, Orile Iganmu Lagos in June. Akpan, it was gathered, became weak and collapsed few minutes after he consumed the drinks.
The incident led to the arrest of his friend Chigozie and he was subsequently arraigned before an Ebute Meta Chief Magistrate’s Court for allegedly poisoning Akpan.
Police Prosecutor, Kehinde Olatunji filed an application that the accused be remanded in prison custody pending legal advice from the office of Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).
The defence counsel, Spurgeon Ataene asked the court to make enquiry pursuant to Section 264 from the prosecution.
In her ruling, the presiding magistrate, Mrs. Folarin Williams said there was no evidence in the prosecution file that indicted Chigozie as the one who committed the crime.
She admitted the accused to bail in the sum of N500, 000 with two sureties in like sum. The case was adjourned till October 5 for DPP’s advice.
– The Nation